A holiday tree is a festive decoration, but it’s also a tempting hazard for little ones.
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions about holiday trees:
- Find a spot for your tree that’s away from sources of heat, such as fireplaces, space heaters and radiators. Make sure the tree is out of the way and doesn’t block doors or people.
- Opt for a fire-resistant artificial tree, or a live tree that’s freshly cut.
- Check a live tree for freshness by making sure it’s very green, and that needles don’t pull off or break easily.
- The end of the trunk should be coated with sticky resin.
- Before putting the tree in the stand, chop off 2 inches from the trunk to help prevent drying out. Place the tree in a stand with a wide, sturdy base that has plenty of water.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.