Insect repellent can help keep the bugs away, and there are other things you can do to avoid the itch and pain of insect bites.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends:
- Steer clear of orchards and flowerbeds, trash cans, puddles and other things that attract bugs.
- Dress in a long-sleeved shirt and long pants, and closed shoes with socks. Add a wide-brimmed hat. Don’t choose clothing that is brightly colored or has large flower patterns.
- Avoid hairsprays, scented soaps and perfumes.
- Inspect the skin carefully each night if you live in an area where ticks are present.
- Cover any holes in window and door screens.
- If you use permethrin as a repellant, use it only on clothing and never on skin.