Participating in sports or exercising don’t have to be dangerous if you’re diabetic.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends that you:
- Talk with your doctor before you begin training or playing. Ask about any tests or supplies that may help make you safer.
- Work with your doctor to determine an appropriate blood glucose range. Check glucose often during exercise.
- Always pack a form of glucose that is easily absorbed.
- Exercise with a partner.
- Wear a medical ID bracelet that says you’re diabetic.
- Before, during and after exercise, eat plenty of healthy foods and drink enough fluids.