Whether you’re in the car for a daily commute or a long road trip, it’s important to protect yourself on the highway.
The American Red Cross advises:
- Never drive while impaired.
- Always buckle your seat belt.
- Make sure you’re alert and well-rested.
- Never use a cell phone while driving.
- Pay extra attention while driving through a work zone.
- Always follow speed limit signs and other road rules.
- Respect the other drivers, and don’t follow the driver in front of you too closely.
- On a long trip, stop frequently for a rest break. Switch drivers, if possible.
- If you drink alcohol, find another driver in advance to take you home.
- Make sure tail lights, headlights, windshield and all windows are clean.
- Turn on headlights any time you need windshield wipers, and at dusk.