It’s not easy to fall asleep with a growling belly, so satisfying bedtime hunger becomes important.
The National Sleep Foundation suggests these snacks:
- A handful of almonds with either half a banana or a handful of cherries, which contain the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin.
- Whole-grain crakcers and peanut butter, which contain complex carbohydrates and tryptophan, a sleep-promoting amino acid.
- Warm milk, which contains calcium, magnesium and tryptophan.
- A mug of decaffeinated herbal tea, but without ginseng, which can act as a stimulant.
- A small bowl of whole-grain cereal or warm oatmeal with milk. These contain magnesium, carbohydrates, calcium and melatonin.
- Half of a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, a great source of tryptophan.