Health Tip: Enjoying a Holiday Fire

Health Tip: Enjoying a Holiday Fire

A fire can be a cozy way to keep warm during winter, but it can be dangerous if you don’t take precautions.

The University of Michigan Health System recommends:

  • Placing smoke detectors outside every bedroom and on each level of your home.
  • Using a fireplace screen that can keep sparks from flying out. Be sure to remove boughs, paper and holiday decorations from the area before you light a fire.
  • Using the fireplace only when you are home and awake.
  • Taking care when burning fire salts to add color to your fire. They can be dangerous if a young child ingests them.
  • Avoid burning greenery or wrapping paper in the fireplace.

Source: HealthDay

Leave a Reply