So you want to get healthier and start exercising? Experts say you shouldn’t just wing it. Get medical OK from your doctor, and devise a fitness plan for a healthier you.
The American Council on Exercise recommends:
- Talk to your doctor about whether it’s safe for you to exercise.
- Create a plan that includes activity that you enjoy. This means you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Start out with short bursts of low-intensity exercise. Over time, make exercises longer and more vigorous. Track your progress over time.
- Perform strengthening and resistance-training exercises to build muscle and boost metabolism.
- Schedule workouts at the beginning of each week to accommodate your other plans.
- Teach yourself not to think of exercise as “all or nothing.” Any activity, even if you don’t meet your goals, is better than being inactive.