Healthy eating doesn’t have to dent your wallet.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests how to buy healthier fare on a budget:
- Check coupons and flyers for lean meat, produce, low-fat dairy and other staples that are on sale.
- Your grocery list should focus on whole, fresh foods while avoiding packaged and prepared foods.
- Plan a menu that allows you to use ingredients several times to keep your list short and avoid waste.
- Shop for seasonal fresh produce, or opt for frozen varieties without added sugar or salt.
- Buy in bulk on sale to use in multiple recipes. Incorporate dried beans and whole grains for nutrition at a lower price.
- Use the most perishable ingredients, such as fish, early in the week to prevent spoilage and waste.
Copyright © 2024 HealthDay. All rights reserved.