Those pre-bedtime munchies can quickly derail the benefits of healthier eating.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice:
- Make sure you eat healthy meals and snacks regularly to avoid end-of-day hunger. Always eat breakfast. But don’t overdo it.
- Opt for 30 grams of protein at each meal, and add fiber. Women should have 25 grams of daily fiber and men should have 38 grams.
- Get seven or eight hours of sleep each night.
- Don’t eat while you watch TV, play video games or work on the computer.
- Ask yourself if you’re really hungry or just eating out of boredom. If you’re hungry, opt for a healthy snack, such as an apple.