Children may be excited, but also a bit anxious, about the first day at a new school. Parents can offer support and encouragement to help the child enjoy the day.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these ideas:
- Remind your child of the positives, such as making new friends and simply having fun. Explain to your child that others will be nervous as well, and that teachers will be trying to make everyone feel comfortable.
- Offer reassurance that you’ll help with any issues that occur at school.
- Write a special note that reminds your child that you are thinking of him or her.
- Find a buddy with whom your child can walk to school or ride the bus with.
- Remind your child to seek other new children at school. Offer your child plenty of attention, affection and support, especially during the first few days.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.