Keeping an open, honest line of communication is among the best ways to keep your child safe from strangers and familiar adults who might do the child harm.
The University of Michigan Health System advises parents to tell their children:
- It’s always important to tell a parent about any alarming situation. A child should not be afraid to tell you something because it will make you angry.
- You will always believe your child.
- You will always support and trust your child’s instincts.
- Your child should always confide in you if another adult tells the child to keep a secret.
- Running away from home is never the answer to any problem. Talking to a parent is always the right thing to do.