Many Internet sites are appropriately designed for children. Then, there are those that every child should avoid.
When it comes to kids surfing the Internet, the University of Michigan Health System offers this advice:
- Explain to children that not all websites are appropriate, and talk about which ones they are allowed to visit. Let them know to avoid any site that seems inappropriate.
- Work with your child to develop a screen name that does not disclose any personal information.
- Teach your child to keep his or her password a secret from friends. Also insist that the child never share any personal information online.
- Advise your child not to go into any chat room.
- Have your child introduce you to anyone met online. Make sure your child knows to never agree to meet anyone in person.
- Teach your child to let you know immediately if anyone online is threatening or behaving inappropriately.