Broken bones and injured tendons or ligaments can cause significant pain. Casts and splints are designed to help relieve this pain by limiting movement, says the American Academy of Family Physicians.
To care for your cast properly, the AAFP offers these suggestions:
- Cover your cast with a plastic bag when bathing and showering.
- Ask your doctor for safe methods to relieve any itchy skin.
- Keep the area around the edge of your cast clean and moisturized.
- Wiggle your fingers or toes to help with circulation.
- Apply a covered ice pack for 15 to 30 minutes over a cast or splint.
- Ask your doctor whether you can take over-the-counter pain medicine.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply