Mountain biking is a great way to get fit while enjoying some natural scenery.
The American Council on Exercise advises mountain bikers to:
- Trust your instincts on the hilly, unpredictable terrain of mountain bike paths.
- Practice using the brakes before you hit the trail.
- Slowly and partially apply the brakes to slow down going down hills. Stand on the pedals with hips slightly back to move your weight off the front wheel.
- Use the bike’s gears to help maintain your rhythm.
- As you climb, shift your weight on the seat to help power you up a hill.