Calorie restriction sounds like the right idea when you want to lose weight. But cutting too many calories isn’t helpful and could backfire.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics explains:
- Restricting too many calories frequently causes malnutrition, which can lead to problems such as osteoporosis.
- You’re likely to gain back lost weight if you restrict calories to a point that’s unsustainable.
- Severely restricting calories puts your body in “starvation mode,” slowing your metabolism and leading to loss of muscle mass.
- Your brain can’t function as well if you’re not giving it the fuel it needs.
- Extreme calorie restriction can lead to gallstones.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply