Anyone can get pneumonia, but your age and general health are risk factors for the dangerous infection.
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute says other risk factors include:
- Being a child under age 2. The immune systems of young children are still developing.
- Being an adult over age 65.
- Having asthma, bronchitis or COPD.
- Having cystic fibrosis.
- Having a weakened immune system.
- Having sickle cell anemia, diabetes or heart failure.
- Having trouble coughing, following a stroke.
- Being in a hospital’s intensive care unit, especially if on a ventilator.
- Having had the flu recently.
- Smoking or alcohol abuse.