Athletes are especially prone to skin conditions, such as infections.
To help reduce the risk, the American Academy of Dermatology advises:
- Protect any scrapes or cuts with regular cleaning and bandaging.
- Protect against blisters by using a spray, gel or pad on areas that tend to blister. Make sure footwear fits correctly, and consider special socks or gloves for blisters on the hands or feet.
- Wear clothing that wicks moisture from the skin. Wear sandals in locker rooms.
- Dry off with a clean towel.
- Never share personal care products, such as soap or razors.
- Wash clothing, towels and sports bags after use. Disinfect all protective gear after use.
- Inspect skin carefully each day for signs of infection or injury. Never use bleach or sandpaper to mask a skin issue.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.