Nightmares may be more frightening if you’re a child and don’t understand what’s behind them.
The Mayo Clinic explains potential causes for bad dreams:
- Daily events that cause stress, or major life changes (such as a move or loss in the family).
- A traumatic accident or injury.
- Insufficient sleep.
- Some medications, such as antidepressants.
- Certain health conditions, such as significant anxiety.
- Abusing or withdrawing from alcohol or drugs.
- Watching a scary movie or reading a scary book.