If you’re feeding your child a vegetarian diet, make sure he or she is getting enough essential nutrients.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says the child’s diet should include:
- Vitamin B12, found in eggs and milk. If the child is on a strictly vegan diet, fortified soy products and fortified cereals are good sources.
- Vitamin D and calcium, found in fortified milk and dairy products, such as cheese and yogurt.
- Iron, found in daily supplements and fortified cereals.
- Protein, found in beans, fortified cereals and soy milk. Yogurt and eggs also are good choices.
- Fiber, found in fortified and whole-grain breads, pastas and cereals, as well as avocados, nuts and seeds.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.