Nothing can sink heart-healthy food faster than frying it in oil and breading.
The American Heart Association suggests these alternatives:
- Stir fry your favorite veggies and meat in a little broth or oil. Avoid high-sodium seasonings, such as soy or teriyaki sauce.
- Roast, broil or grill meat and poultry in a pan with a rack, which will allow fat to drip from the food. Baste with lemon juice.
- Use a covered dish and pour in extra liquid to bake food in the oven.
- Poach chicken or fish to cut calories.
- Sautee vegetables in a pan with a bit of oil or broth, or steam them in a basket over boiling water.